Nigeria Military Forces kill six terrorists, recover arms in Borno

Nigeria Military Forces kill six terrorists, recover arms in Borno
Charles Nwoke, Maiduguri, Nigeria
March 17, 2021

Image courtesy of local sources, fair use. 

Troops of Operation Lafiya Dole have eliminated six Boko Haram and ISWAP terrorists and recovered more weapons and ammunition in a fierce encounter with the insurgents in the Dikwa part of Borno State.

This was contained in a statement issued on Tuesday by the Director of Nigerian Army Public Relations, Brig.-Gen. Mohammed Yerima.

In the statement, the of Army Public Relations, said the troops carried out the operation on Monday.

He said the sustained aggression against the terrorist groups had continued to gain traction following aides from troops of 81 Task Force Battalion, together with the Civilian Joint Task Force and local Vigilante group in the area.

Yerima while speaking with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) disclosed that the forces had carried out an onslaught fighting patrol and ‘concealed picketing’ in continuation of the ongoing subsidiary operation code-named, operation “TURA TAKAI BANGO (Push comes to shove).

In his words, “the troops on patrol came in contact with terrorists mounted on motorcycles and a gun truck, swiftly engaged them in a fierce firefight, killing six of them and recovering several weapons, ammunition, and sundry items.

“Items captured in the encounter included one PKM, two AA47 rifles, one FN rifle, three FN rifle magazines, two AK47 rifle magazines, 36 rounds of 7.62mm NATO,19 rounds of 7.62mm special and 67 PKM linked rounds.

“Others were two motorcycles, one magazine pouch, two mobile handsets, and a tube of an adhesive solution,” he added.

Brig.-Gen. Yerima said that troops of Bravo Company, while on similar routine perimeter patrol the same day, recovered a mobile handset phone suspected to have been abandoned by the fleeing members of the terrorists, “who came under heavy fire during the attempt to infiltrate the camp on March 14.”

He said that the handset had been handed down to the 7 Military Intelligence Brigade for onward scrutiny and investigations.

“In line with the directive of the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Ibrahim Attahiru, troops will remain resolute and determined to ensure that the general area was completely cleared and protected, while aggressively dominating every route where terrorists are suspected to move around to smoke them out,” he said.