Buratai refutes scamming with arms fund
Charles Nwoke, Abuja, Nigeria
March 17, 2021
Image courtesy of local sources. Fair use.
Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai, the Nigerian immediate past Chief of Army Staff, has denied fiddling with funds meant for arms and weapons procurement while in office.
Buratai stated this in a statement issued by his lawyer, Osuagwu Ugochukwu, on Friday last week in Abuja.
Recall that Republic Underground had earlier last week, reported that the Nigerian National Security Adviser (NSA), Babagana Monguno, had stated in an interview with BBC Hausa Service, that funds running into billions of naira meant for the purchase of arms and ammunition under the immediate past service chiefs, were not accounted for, hence both the arms and money were nowhere to be found.
The immediate past service chiefs include Gabriel Olonisakin, Chief of Defence Staff, Abubakar Sadique, chief of Air Staff, Ibok Ekwe Ibas, chief of naval staff, and Tukur Buratai, chief of army staff.
Mr. Monguno has since denied the report, claiming that he was quoted out of context.
Buratai, who was the chief of army staff between 2015 and 2021, said no arms fund was missing under his supervision.
He also said his name was never mentioned in the interview granted by Mr. Monguno, and therefore, his name should be discarded from any form of accusation regarding the arms scandal.
Read the full statement.
LT. GEN. T. Y. BURATAI AND OTHER EX SERVICE CHIEFS NEVER FIDDLED WITH ARMS FUND
My attention has been drawn to an interview granted BBC by National Security Adviser (NSA) RTD Major General Babagana Monguno wherein he was alleged to have accused former service chiefs of filtering ARMS Fund away.
I can confirm that LT. General Buratai and other ex-service chiefs were never mentioned in the interview and neither was any arms fund missing under the stewardship of LT. Gen T.Y. Buratai.
Interestingly, NSA Babagana Monguno has denied making such accusations. We, therefore, urge members of the public to discountenance any such misquoted narrative suggesting sleaze on the integrity of RTD LT Gen T.Y. Buratai.
Anyone interested in knowing how Arms were procured by the ex-service chiefs and particularly LT. Gen T.Y. Buratai should channel such requests for information to the Ministry of Defence and stop the habit of speculation and false information peddling. Because any attempt to further tarnish the image of the former Chief of Army staff will be resisted legally.
Osuagwu Ugochukwu ESQ
( Attorney to LT. Gen. T.Y. Buratai RTD)