Boko Haram claims kidnapping of hundreds of Katsina students

boko haram

Charles Nwoke, Katsina, Nigeria
December 15, 2020 

Boko Haram terrorist group on Tuesday claimed responsibility for the kidnap of over 300 Science Secondary School students in Katsina State, Northwest Nigeria.

The leader of the group that was also behind the 2014 abduction of hundreds of schoolgirls in Chibok, Abubakar Shekau, in a voice message stated that the terrorists (Jihadist) group, Boko Haram, is behind the recent attack and abduction of Science Secondary School students in Katsina State.

“I am Abubakar Shekau and our brothers are behind the kidnapping in Katsina,” he said.

No fewer than 333 students are still missing since the late Friday ambush on the all-boys Government Science Secondary School in Katsina State, Northwestern Nigeria.

The raid was initially believed to have been perpetrated by an Armed robbery gang generally referred to as “bandits”, who had been terrorizing the unstable region where kidnapping for ransom, robbery, and theft are rampant.

Nigerian Military on Monday said that it had located the hideout of the men and that a military operation was underway to ensure the swift rescue of the abducted children.

Recall that more than 300 unidentified armed men on motorcycles invaded the hinterland school north of Kankara town, forcing students to flee and hide in the surrounding bush.

Residents revealed to AFP that some of the boys in the Science Secondary School were able to escape, but many were captured, separated into different groups, and forcefully taken away.

The kidnap incident happened in President Muhammadu Buhari’s State of origin. Buhari condemned the attack and ordered security stepped up in schools and the closure of the whole school in Katsina State.

The claim of responsibility this Tuesday by the dreaded and deadly Boko Haram marks a major turning point in the advance of terrorist organizations in Northwest Nigeria.

Boko Haram, and a splinter group the Islamic State in West Africa Province (ISWAP), are waging an insurgency in Nigeria Northeast and are thought to have only a minor presence in the Northwest.

But concerns have risen of terrorist inroads into the region, especially after monsters claiming to be in the Northwest released a 2020 propaganda video pledging their loyalty to the leadership of Boko Haram insurgents.

President Buhari has made the fight against the group a priority, but the security situation in Northern Nigeria has deteriorated and degenerated since he assumed office in 2015.