Bandits kill 2 more Greenfield Varsity students, insist on N800m ransom

Bandits kill 2 more Greenfield Varsity students, insist on N800m ransom
Charles Nwoke, Northwest, Nigeria.
April 27, 2021 
…..As gunmen abduct 3 varsity students in Benue

Above image courtesy of local sources, fair use. 

Two more students of Greenfield University, Kaduna State, abducted over one week ago by bandits have been slain by their captors who are insisting on payment of N800 million ransom be they will release them.

The lifeless bodies of three of the students, a male and two females, had earlier been discovered in a village close to the university.

Commissioner, Ministry of Internal Security and Home Affairs in Kaduna State, Samuel Aruwan, who confirmed the killing of the two students on Monday, promised that the state government would update the citizenry on further developments on the issue.

He said, “On a sad note, security agencies have just reported to Kaduna State government the recovery of two more dead bodies of Greenfield University students, killed by armed bandits today (yesterday) Monday, April 26, 2021.

“The retrieved corpses have been evacuated to a mortuary, and the university has been notified of the development.

“The government of Kaduna State under the leadership of Malam Nasir El-Rufai is saddened by this evil perpetrated against innocent students abducted while pursuing their education for a glorious future.

“The government sends its deep empathy to their families and the university management and prays for the repose of their souls. The government will update the citizenry on further developments.”

This now brings to five the number of students so far murdered by the kidnappers, while demanding N800 million ransom from the parents.

Again bandits yesterday, ran riot in so many parts of the country yesterday, as they abducted three students of the Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi, FUAM, in Benue State.

The hoodlums equally attacked Kofar Kuyambana’s low-cost housing estate in Zaria, Kaduna State, but were gallantly rebutted by combined efforts of the police and vigilante after a fierce gun duel, after which five of them were apprehended.

This is even as tension, panic, and anxiety gripped Nasarawa State residents, following continuous raids on communities by criminals, which have forced an estimated 50,000 farmers to flee their ancestral homes.

They are now taking refuge in three locations, including Agyaragu, Kadarko, and Daudu.

Also yesterday, Governor Abubakar Sani Bello of Niger State decried the incessant invasion of communities by bandits in the state, pointing out that no fewer than 50 villages had been sacked in five local government area councils.

According to sources, the three students, whose identities are yet to be disclosed by the school as at the time of filing this report, were kidnapped last Saturday night while studying their books close to a lecture hall.

The State Police Public Relations Officer, PPRO, DSP Catherine Anene, while confirming the incident, said the command had already received a report of the incident.

She said, “Information has been received by the school authority that on April 24, 2021, at about 10:20 pm some unknown persons came into the school premises and kidnapped three of their students who were studying close to a lecture theater.

“We received that information and we are on it. I know that we are very close and we will continue to do our best.

“For now this is what I have for the media but my advice is that the members of the public should remain calm. We are doing our best to make sure that we get to the root of the matter and also apprehend the perpetrators of the crime.

“I assure parents of the students that the police will do our best to get back their children. They should remain calm and cooperate with us, we will do our best.”

When the PPRO was asked if the kidnappers had made any demands, he said, “That is classified information. When the incident happened we received reports from the school authorities and we are working on it in our way. We do not need to wait for people to be contacted before we do our job.

“As soon as we received the information we deployed our teams and they are working both technically and physically. So we will continue to do our best. We do not have to wait for contacts to be established before we do our work. For now, we do not have the identity of the affected students.’’

The Vice-Chancellor of the institution, Prof. Richard Kimbir when confirming the incident, said the school was not sure of the number of students involved, assuring that the number of those involved would be ascertained at the end of an ongoing management meeting.

He said, “We are holding a management meeting at the moment and at the end of the meeting we will confirm the number but for now we are sure of two because the kidnappers have made contacts with us.”