Again, many kidnapped as bandits raid Zamfara

Again, many kidnapped as bandits raid Zamfara
Charles Nwoke, Gusau, Nigeria
March 4, 2021 

Again, many persons have been reportedly kidnapped by bandits in Zamfara State following an attack on Wednesday on Ruwan Tofa village in Maru Local Government Area Council of the State.

According to reports from residents, the bandits swooped the community at night, setting houses, silos, and other physical structures ablaze.

A source who pleaded anonymity said, the criminals were reported to have captured many residents who were fleeing the community to avoid being abducted or killed after being previously warned of the attack.

The source said, “I cannot say the exact number of those kidnapped because they are many. Women and children constitute the majority of those abducted

“Then they went around burning houses and silos unchallenged before moving with the victims.”

This fresh abduction is coming less than one week after unidentified gunmen kidnapped over 300 schoolgirls in Jangebe in Talata Mafara Local Government Area Council of the State. The students were later released on Tuesday morning after payment of a ransom to the bandits.

To checkmate lawlessness and wage war against crime in the state, the federal government has declared a no-fly-zone in Zamfara.

Governor Bello Matawalle controversially initiated peace dialogue, offering amnesty to bandits who renounce criminality. However, this has not appeased the bandits who continue to abduct and attack rural communities.

The Zamfara State Police Spokesman, Muhammad Shehu, however, did not respond to phone calls for comments on the latest attack in the state.

Equally, every attempt to reach out or contact the State Commissioner of Information proved abortive.