Charles Nwoke, Katsina, Nigeria
December 14, 2020
Image courtesy of local news sources, fair use.
Aminu Masari, the Executive Governor of Katsina State, on Sunday, confirmed that a total of 333 students of Government Science Secondary School, Kankara, are still missing following the recent attack.
Governor Masari stated this while updating the federal government delegation to Katsina State led by Salihi Magashi, the Defence Minister, at the Katsina Government House. The envoy also involve Nigerian Military Service chiefs.
Recall that we had earlier reported the Katsina State Government’s confirmation of an attack carried out by unknown gunmen in a science school in Kankara, which left many students of the college missing.
Kankara residents disclosed to newsmen that the gunmen had earlier ambushed Kankara town, injuring many residents but were later rebutted by security agents.
The unidentified gunmen in their large numbers, on motorcycles, raided the school’s premises around 11: 00 p.m. Friday night, shooting sporadically in a very deadly way.
Thereafter, the attackers took many students with them to an unknown destination.
The Katsina State Governor also revealed that the institution of learning has a total population of 839 students before the unfortunate incident took place.
Governor Masari said, “Based on the available record we have, we are still searching for 333 students through either the forest or their parents to ascertain the actual number that has been kidnapped.
“We are still counting because more are coming out from the forest and we are calling through the numbers those parents that have phone numbers to find out whether or not their children have gone back home.”
Earlier, the Defence Minister asked the armed forces, the police and other security apparatus to make a speedy move to ensure the quick rescue of the abducted students in the next few hours, to save them from danger of being killed.
“We are here also to sympathise with you over the recent abduction of secondary school students which is a more or less ruthless exercise conducted to temper with the education of the students.”
“With the brief, we received from the sister security agencies in the state, this task will be very simple to accomplish within the next few hours, we will ensure that these people are back without any collateral damage to the people of Katsina State,” said Magashi.
The horrific incident in Katsina is the most recent of such attacks by armed bandits in the state. Hundreds of people have been murdered and abducted in bandits attacks in Katsina and other Northwest states this year alone.
This particular attack happened while Nigerian President, Muhammadu Buhari was on a working visit to Katsina State.